Hey guys this is the news archive that was ported from wordpress over to the new site, I realize that its unformatted and sort of a mess, but its better than losing all of that content now isn't it ;)
If there is anything you want from google that shows up on these pages its still there, however all of the comments have been removed I apologize for that as well but it wasn't worth it to port them.
I am really starting to get the hang of this new system, and will most likely be starting the conversion of sections very shortly. I do have to restart what I have been doing in order to this so it will not be overnight. The theme is essentially completed and when it's up I will take change requests but I think it's unique enough that most will enjoy it for what it is.
I am not sure how clear I have made some of the changes:
- Users will be able to posts blogs and get content promoted to the front page, this will allow for users that are not normally interested in becoming staff to still be a part of the site.
- Users will be able to log into the site and post comments, and this login will also carry over to the forum which will be new, no more vbulletin, going for a more simple board that will migrate better with the new system, and we all know the forum needs a reset the spam bots have clearly taken over.
- All content will be very organized, you will be able to sort content by a ton of general and more specific terms, for example lets say your looking for the latest screenshots, you go to the media tab at the top, from there you are taken to the general media page where all the latest media is listed: videos, trailers, screenshots, tv commercials, image scans, and artwork. From there you can choose any of those to filter out all the other media types and just choose screenshots, this will list all the latest screenshots posted by date and you will be able to click the post to view the screenshots.
- All content will be organized by system, I have one kink I need to figure out but if I can't I am not that worried, and that is when I tag games to different consoles the url becomes xbox360playstation3/bioshock for example and that's kind of annoying especially since not all content on bioshock 360 like achievement guides will be relevant.
- We will no longer be posting trailers on the site hosted directly by us, this is a decision made by myself with the serious increase in demand for faster media, flash media, and high quality media I have decided to move the video hosting of the site to Vimeo. This doesn't mean I am not going to ever post a youtube video or that you guys can't post youtube in your blogs, I just generally want the home page news stories and game content videos/trailers to be hosted on Vimeo because they offer the highest quality flash out there.
- Site will be searchable, however that is going to be worked on last so I can't really say much about that feature of the site until I have the site up and running and can really test it.
- Archives exist, will have a recent blog area where you can see what anyone is blogging, news cloud fairly standard stuff here. There will be polls and all that jazz, anything the current site has the new one has plus :P
- User Reviews are very encouraged, all you have to do is tag your game as a review and it will show up in the reviews section for the game, if the review contains offensive content and vulgar images the review will be subject to review or possibly removal.
- Some social networking will come into play, I will not say how much because that is not my main concern, my main concern is building a site that can organize and house a lot more content than our original site, and do so much faster.
- Higher quality content like walkthroughs, side quest guides, and boss strategies and the like can be user submitted, however if you want to apply for these positions you do need to contact me so I can give you the allowed permissions, I can't have ever user that joins the site have access to everything or else it will turn into a spam fest, and quality is important.
- Lastly the status of the current site, some content will not be converted, but who knows if I have time and the desire, or if enough of you want it I might just convert more sections that I originally planned, that can be discussed later...
So yeah if anyone actually read any of that and didn't see something they want in the new site let me know, I will be modifying the site even after it finally goes live, just know I am always open to suggestion and the environment of the new site will be a much more welcome community. :) Enjoy your summers!
The revamp using Drupal is making steady progress, finally starting to understand some shit, the skin is almost 100% finished so thats the least of the troubles, if I can manage to just keep working at figuring out the backend we would be golden.
The new site has a ton more to offer than the current and will have about 7ish of the current sites sections revamped into the system, the rest of the site will stay as it is and all new sites will be added to the new design and shit. I say this because working on old material would just take up time, like for example I have a Mass Effect guide thats just been waiting to be posted forever on the new site in-progress already. I would much rather focus on bringing the site new life rather than just refreshed old shit.
But yeah hopefully I get it done here in a couple weeks and you guys can stop looking at this disgusting blob of foul shit, also note that the new layout will have very minor ads, however all the old site content that is not converted will be ad whored... that way we can take advantage of the old content so that all new content is much cleaner ;)
That also means much faster load times since there will not be ads all over the fucking place haha.
And the new layout is dark, and well fucking crazy, I think its very different and if you don't enjoy it than whatever you can go somewhere else hahaha
For those of you that don't watch Conan I highly recommend it, not only is he the best late night talk show but the man really is a fucking genius, case and point, if you watched Conan during the writers strike chances are you enjoyed it more than when they weren't on strike.
Anyway Conan's opening monologue featured a toned down version of Grand Theft Auto IV the other night and well I almost feel out of me bed. Enjoy.
Holy shit did I die or what? Actually if anything I have been on my computer more than ever, I have recently sustained an injury that hasn't allowed me to attend school or to even enjoy in my hobby of skateboarding. As such one would expect I would update this sorry excuse of a site, but boredom has over taken my interest in nearly everything and I apologize for that.
Anyway GTA4 comes out tomorrow and for anyone that hasn't gone to a normal gaming site they would know that the game is getting rated quite highly and after watching like 30 some videos on game trailers I am convinced that this one will be for the record books. Those of you playing it on the ps3 or 360 will agree that this is one of the best games of 2008 and its the blockbuster title we have all been waiting for this season, while not to undercut Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, GTA4 is just that other level haha.
On a side note for anyone that gives a shit it's my birthday tomorrow and i'll be spending it in Liberty City, I am not really sure how the online works in GTA4 but my xbox360 gamertag is Dumbled0r.
Oh and the post below was clearly and april fools joke, but there is actually a new site in the works and one day I will finish it... one day haha.
The whole new layout is up and running, I personally think it looks awesome and it's about damn time, I have reduced the ads to almost nothing, keep in mind though all old content that is not being redone will still have ads, and might actually get more ads just so that the new fresh content can stay very minimum in ads.
The whole system is new, no more wordpress, we are now on a content management system meaning updating is insanely fast and everything connects, I can edit and managed huge amounts of content with ease now.
We have also allowed commenting and user blogs throughout the new part of the site so that you can be way more interactive than ever before, this also means any posts you make have the potential to make it to the front page of the site, so for those of you that like posting gaming news or editorials just send me a pm to let me know you are actively trying to post on the home page and I will be sure to keep an eye on your stories.
That's all for now enjoy.
As you will all surely notice the old ug content has a lot of ads on it now, and they will stay, its all stuff and for those of you that are down with the future should be ok with that. Note that all new content and some of the recent stuff on old UG will be converted to Drupal, so if you want a Devil May Cry 4 walkthrough that isn't even completed on old UG it will be on the new site. Release this is for the best, the more old UG is ad-whored the less the new UG will be :).
I realize this is a double edged sword, but the site is expansive, and I am a starving college student so please bare with me a little longer. I will be working on the site for the next week straight at least, I just got forum integration working, and the only major set back is how to handle images to be honest with you :).
For those of you wondering why it's taking so long just read the post below it outlines everything the new site will offer.
So much to my surprise the sites stats spiked hugely over the last few days and when I finally realized why, I realized we had a problem. The Devil May Cry 4 Walkthrough area was getting mad traffic, but it lacked a walkthrough. So I found myself a guide and started putting it up, cept the guide isn't entirely done yet, so those of you fiendin need to figure some shit out by yourself for a few days. Author Joe tells me the guide will be done in a few days when it is I will have all of it up as well as the secret missions and some other game information.
Enjoy noobz. :P
****Well mister commenter is right, seems Nomura was misquoted on joystiq... the one time I use them as my source it figures. There is no confirmation of either a demo or release on FFXIII for 2008, though they have stated in the past they want a 2008 release window, so heres to hoping on that at least ;). The rest of this news post is now historical perseverance of joystiq lying to me.
Word on the street is Final Fantasy XIII will not only have a demo out this year but the entire pile of saga goodness will drop on us before the year is over. While I admit the chances of all the 3-1000 spin-off titles of Final Fantasy XIII coming out this year is unlikely to have some verification from Nomura is reassuring. My guess is yes we will see the 3 titles that have been announced up till this date come out if there get there shit together, but it has always been my understanding that there were a possible total of 6 titles.
If you ask me some PSP and DS spin-offs will drop in 2009 and maybe a 360 version in 09 as well but I can only dream can't I? Looks like I will finally be buying a PS3 this year. :P
//end lies haha
For the first time in a while we are graced with some new Final Fantasy 13 scans. Amongst the scans are an array of new characters and guardians, it would seem that Square-Enix is gradually giving us some new visual and textual information regarding this game. Not that these scans are missing the typical full page Lightning visual, because there not :P.
Anyway here is a summary of what some of the scans translations say:
Built by a great entity, it is a society floating in the sky, enclosed in a "shell" - Cocoon.
It flourishes, protected by the great machines and living creatures invented by the Crystal.
The inhabitants of Cocoon, in a long period of tranquility, fear infection from the outside.
Outside the shell, an underworld --- the entity of "Pulse" awakens. Fearing this faceless invader, the people begin to suspect one another, and hatred takes root.
Cocoon's government, wishing for stability, takes emergency measures. They arrest large numbers of citizens, suspected of being "infected from the outside", and announced that they would be compelled to migrate to this underworld, "Pulse". In reality, it meant banishment, but the fate which awaited them was even more cruel than that...
The crystal, a symbol of harmony, chose a person to whom they would entrust destiny... to lead the world.
She was chosen.
To be the enemy of mankind, who will ruin the world.
Now enjoy the visuals:
Xbox Live have just issued a statement that they will be offering Undertow for free on Jan.23-Jan 27. . As I read on about the apology on the Kotaku article, I just feel cheated. A damn live game isnt enough. I would rather have gotten my month back of not being able to play games successfully online. Better yet, I would much rather have Xbox Live burn in hell for making me pay to play games online with my buddies. You wonder why I bitch and moan? I got my 360 for a reason. To play multiplayer games with my friends. And during my Christmas break from school, I couldn't even do that with the ones that didn't come home for the holidays. I mean dont get me wrong, Undertow is pretty cool, but its not free months of Xbox Live which Im going to guess about 80% of the users want.
Tell me what you guys think about this after reading the article over at Kotaku.com